As a paper manufacturer, Arjowiggins is dedicated to protecting and respecting the environment. We have made it our mission to preserve valuable resources and to minimise the energy consumption and emissions of our mills.
We believe in sustainable development. To that end, we are constantly ensuring that our operations are in full compliance with all national and local laws related to the environment. Consideration of environmental issues and more particularly the reduction of pollution forms an integral part of our business decisions and activities, and is built into our production processes.
Arjowiggins has always been at the forefront of environmental initiatives in the paper industry and was an early adopter of environmental regulations and standards.
- Stoneywood Mill was one of the first paper mills to achieve ISO 14001 certification in the 1980s.
- In the 1990s, the construction of a thermal and power plant at Stoneywood reduced carbon dioxide emissions by 50,000 tonnes per year. The plant generated all the energy and steam needed to run the mill’s production lines. This investment was in addition to the efforts made since the 1960s to improve the mill’s effluent treatment.
- In 1991, Conqueror entered the recycled paper market with premium recycled grades, followed in 2008 by the launch of 100% recycled options.
- In 2008, Arjowiggins was one of the first papermakers to achieve FSC certification for its entire portfolio of creative papers.
- In 2020, Arjowiggins launches Sylvicta, a food contact paper with high barrier properties, fully recyclable, compostable and biodegradable, ready for manufacturing sustainable packaging applications across the food and cosmetic industries.